Blogspot.com redirects to Blogspot.in- What may be the reason?

Today when I visit one of my blog, my Alexa rank was suddenly reduced. I can't find any reason until I look into the address bar of my browser. Instead of blogspot.com I found blogspot.in in my address bar. I look into some blogs in net and found that every blog is redirecting into blogspot.in. I fear that all Indian blogs have given this sub-domain by blogger and it may seriously effect my traffic from other countries. But my fear get partially reduced when I look on to Google official blog and found that the official blogs which is hosted from America are also re-directing to blogspot.in. So I understand that Google is re-directing every blogs country wise. So if you are browsing adsense.blogspot.com which is a blog from America it will appears as adsense.blogspot.in in India and adsense.blogspot.com.au in Australia.So the address of the blog depends upon readers country. Google call this as country-code top level domain (ccTLD). Strange and sad fact but its true. Thankfully this change ha no effect on blogs hosted on custom domains.

Blogspot.com to blogspot.in- What is the reason?

Recently Google have faced legal issues from many countries. Indian Supreme Court have asked to appear Google before the court. Since Google allows many features to express the thought independently, many bloggers are using this feature in a wrong way which has been causing serious legal issues in some countries.

So Google decided to introduce country-specific url (what Twitter does) and by doing so they can remove a particular content from showing in one country and can still show the same content in other countries. Anyway as Internet is influencing the society strongly Government are trying to tag the internet with laws and internet companies are forced to limit the features that are providing to customer. Anyway let's hope that Google will find some solution to the effect of country-code top level domain (ccTLD).
Tags: , ,

About author

I am an engineer by profession and blogging is my passion. I also loves to share my knowledge. Get me on and Twitter

3 comments

  1. can this affect the ads revenues. "not adsence ads"

  2. If you check your original URL (blogspot.com) in a page rank / alexa checker, you will find that it is unchanged.

    What is not so clear how Page Rank will be affected in the long term and what it means for the army of Blogspot bloggers as a whole.

  3. @Darren Held
    Now Alexa is showing many ranks for the same website. It shows one rank for website.blogspot.com and a different rank for website.blogspot.in. So the website rank is divided into different countries. These things will surely effect the total Alexa rank of your website hosted in blogger.

Leave a Reply